6.08.2006

Oh, yes. Lets.

Well, as I’m writing, the seniors at the high school have just finished their last day. The tradition is that when the bell rings the seniors throw their papers in the air. Of course, they can’t hear the bell, so they just sort of do it. Also, they don’t have their papers, so they go around the school rooting through recycle bins looking for paper. Then they chant “Let’s get wasted.” It’s inspiring.

For some reason they’re playing 80’s arena rock while they do it. Hm. Why? Is it because they, too, would like to “Jump”? Fair enough. Jumping’s fun. As is being shaken all night long.

I tried, just for variety, to bribe the seniors to instead of “let’s get wasted”, chant “We’re here, we’re queer, get used to it” but apparently they wouldn’t go for it. Too bad. That would have made them stand out. The “let’s get wasted” chant is just so boring, you know? Because, of course, obviously you are. Is it that crucial that the underclassmen understand your intentions for this evening’s celebratory festivities? Or is it the thrill of announcing it in the school? I suppose that’s it. What about chanting something like, “Let’s burn this mother-fucker down”? That’d be interesting and new. No rhythm, though.

I’ve been surprised how many of these seniors I’m pretty attached to. There was this thing earlier in the day in which the staff was required to form a gauntlet through which the departing seniors pass and we clap or high-five or spray them with beer or whatever. It was smarmy and cheesy and forced and ridiculous…but cracked my jaded exterior some because there were actually some many people I was really sorry to see go. It wound up being at points rather touching. It was, of course, tempting after the whole year of being forced to bottle in personal views to yell at them as they went by, “Evolution is real! Bush is a moron!” and so on. It would likely have the same cathartic appeal as “let’s get wasted” does to an 18-year-old. Kind of a “do you know how long I’ve been waiting to tell you that?” feel. Hardly interchangeable, though. The staff chanting “let’s get wasted” would just be depressing. Funny, but depressing.

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll write more on this time of year – it always gets me reflective.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you would miss us....We're loud and annoying! But thanks...

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's get with the program, and write a new entry, hells yeah!!!

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually bothered gathering and saving papers all the way back from my freshman year. Then lugging it around school in my backpack, practically bursting at the seams - not to mention breaking my back.

I had probably five pounds more of papers that I would have loved to shove in, but it was just a little too heavy and impossible to get things in and out of.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I walked past you, I wanted to give you, at least, a hi five, but wasn't sure if I should. Oh, well, it's almost been two years, and maybe someday I'll give you that hi five.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would've totally chanted "We're here, we're queer, get used to it!" Damn, I wish I would've known you were advocating that.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we never to be graced with one of your witty blogs again?

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home